Rajab is the seventh month of the Islamic (hijri) schedule and one of the four sacred months as ordained by Allah (SWT). The month precedes the month of Sha’ban and holy month of Ramadan, and contains many benefits and virtues for worshippers due to some of the most precious days in the Islamic calendar occurring in this month.
Allah says in the Quran:
“Verily, the number of months with Allah is twelve in the book of Allah, since the day He created the Heavens and the Earth. Four of them, they are sacred.” [Qur’an 9:36]
As one of the four sacred months, it is forbidden to fight during this month:
“Time has come back to its original state which it had when Allah created the Heavens and the Earth; the year is twelve months, four of which are sacred. Three of them are in succession: Dhul-Qa’dah, Dhul-Hijjah, Al-Muharram and Rajab of Mudar, which remains between Jumada (ath-Thani) and Sha’ban.” [Bukhari]
Key events that took place in Rajab
- 13th Rajab: The birth date of Ali (RA), the cousin and companion of the Prophet (SAW)
- 27th Rajab: The Prophet’s (SAW) night journeyAl Isra’ walMiraj is thought to have taken place
- Rajab of 9AH: This was when the Battle of Tabuk took place, when the Prophet (SAW) took 30,000 men to face the Roman army. As a result, the Romans retreated and a peace agreement was made.
- Rajab of 583 AH (1187 CE): Was when Salahuddin al-Ayyubi liberated Jerusalem after eighty-eight years of Crusader occupation.
What is Rajab?
Rajab is one of the four sacred months prescribed by Allah (SWT). It is the seventh month of the Islamic (hijri) calendar, and considered the month of Allah (SWT) for its virtue and status as a sacred month.
When is Rajab?
The sacred month of Rajab will begin on 2nd February 2022, and the 27th Rajab will occur on the 28th February 2022.
What is the importance of Rajab?
Allah (SWT) ordained Rajab one of the four sacred months of the year, and is therefore virtuous for a number of reasons:
- Initiation of fighting is prohibited during the four sacred months.
- All transgressions during these months weigh heavier as wrong deeds.
- All sincere acts of worship are deemed more virtuous.
Fasting in Rajab